All of the following facts come from the scientific community; folks who study the brain. Here’s the reality:
- We have 60,000 thoughts a day.
- 95% of these thoughts are the same ones we had yesterday.
- 71% of these thoughts are NEGATIVE!
The reality is…we are talking ourselves into failure!
YOU are your greatest foe.
YOU own your thoughts.
YOU can change them!
It’s all about awareness…
Here are some techniques to shift this destructive cycle:
- Own it! Say to yourself: “I own my thoughts, no one else.” This is a major shift which brings the power and ownership back to you. You, no one else, owns your thoughts. Look inside for the answers, not outside.
- Start acknowledging each negative thought you have. Stop (mentally) and soak in the thought. Don’t avoid it. Stuffing it back inside is like continually putting pop back into a bottle. At some point it is going to explode. The same will happen with you.
- Close your eyes (stay with me here, this really works). Imagine clouds floating in the sky. Now place your negative thought on a cloud. Send it good thoughts. Thank it for the awareness lesson it provided. Tell it you don’t need it any longer. Watch it drift away.
Try doing this for just one day. See how you feel. See if your thoughts start to change. If you keep this up you will DEFINTELY change your thoughts, which in turn leads to a change in your actions.
If you truly want to change your patterns of behavior you first have to change your thoughts. They are the building blocks for everything.
This negative self talk is your ego’s way of trying to keep you small. Don’t let it! YOU own your thoughts, not your ego. Take back ownership of them, and…
TALK YOURSELF INTO SUCCESS!
P.S. - If I see any of your words on a cloud I will make sure they continue on their journey. ;-)
Want to know more about Executive Coaching? Click here.
© 2013 and beyond. Executive Coaching University. All rights reserved.