Many of us tend to resist or even fight against change, especially if we feel like things are happening to us that are beyond our control. The fight or flight response is alive and well within the human mind, and there isn’t a whole lot we can do about that aside from internal work. It’s time to shift your perspective and look at changes as opportunities to become stronger, more empowered, and to expand your knowledge and skills.
So, how do you go about learning to enjoy the process of change? The majority of this is inner work that will massively shift the way you see changes – and life as a whole. As with most things concerning mindfulness, your perspective is the most important part of seeing things in a new way and ultimately being a happier person no matter what you’re going through.
Five Tips for Optimizing Your Personal Growth Through Change
1. Give yourself enough time to get more comfortable with change. You may begin your journey feeling uncomfortable with whatever change is happening, but the more exposure to the idea you have, the more comfortable you will get with it. Bring the change into your comfort zone so it’s easier to manage.
2. Ignore your instincts for once. While your instincts may perceive change as a threat, you can alter your perception about the change and choose to see it as a good thing even if your instincts are telling you it’s uncomfortable to travel down this path. Consciously focus on the positive aspects of the change and push away the negative thoughts and emotions. You may also choose to focus heavily on how this particular change will better your life.
3. The more you know, the easier it will get. Educating yourself about the change you’re making can be priceless for your progress, so learn as much as you can. This will help you to get more comfortable with the change itself as well as with where you’re headed once you’ve implemented the change.
4. Own your decision to change as well as the process of getting there. Taking personal responsibility for the process and implementation of the change you’re making will allow you to enjoy it more and be fully immersed and involved from the very first steps to completion. Taking ownership allows you to fully appreciate the journey, ultimately making the change less threatening and expanding your mind to more easily allow future changes. One positive experience with change can be a powerful influence on your overall perspective.
5. Enjoy the journey with a positive attitude. Even if you don’t have full control over the change process or the situation, you can decide to enjoy the journey and view setbacks as solvable challenges. These solvable challenges may even end up presenting you with great opportunities to take advantage of as you go.
Many people resist change, but it is inevitable. Your ability to embrace change with a positive outlook is vital for you to function at your highest capacity and maintain forward momentum no matter what your goals in life are. It may seem a little scary at first, but the power of your perception is especially amazing when it comes to making lasting changes in your life. The more you know about the change you’re making, the more you can get comfortable with the process. Before you know it, you’ll be gliding through minor changes effortlessly and seeing the whole journey in a new light. As always, continue learning and leading mindfully!